Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #72: Howl of the Night Pack

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Redesign:


Too strong? The last effect in the text box only exists on one card: Predatory Rampage. I wanted to make sure to that this card still produces Wolf tokens, so my challenge was to do it in a different way. The art seems to be an assault (attacking), so I went in that direction. Because creatures get summoning sickness, and I wanted the last effect to last only one turn, I had to give the Wolves haste. I know green is tertiary for haste, but is this going over the line?

However, perhaps it would be better to make this an instant and just put Wolves into play equal to the number of creatures the opponent controls. That way, you could be ambushing the opponent's attack. I don't like that feeling as much.

Another effect that I couldn't quite make work elegantly was have the wolves be put into play but make them be block or be blocked by the same creatures being blocked or blocking the opponent's creatures. Like, an extra 2/2 jumps into the fray for each of the opponent's creatures in combat with one of your own creatures.

"Hound" is being used as a verb here, but I find it funny/uncomforting that these are Wolves doing the hounding instead of Hounds, an already-existing creature type that do "houndings" as well. Unimportant, minor detail, though.

2 comments:

  1. This is a pretty sweet Overrun variant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jay! That's what I was going for instead of just some token generator + effect thing. =)

      Though, Wobbles pointed out how this is part of a cycle, and I had completely forgotten that. While this card is successful, the result of my scenario is a failure. Oh, well!

      Delete