Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #176: Laccolith Mechanic

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being scrapped late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color(s), is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.

ORIGINALS:



REDESIGNS:





So, each of the Laccoliths have the same ability. And with no other abilities. Or differences at all except for the power/toughness or the fact that it's an Aura. So, along with changing the mechanic for Laccoliths, I included additional abilities that are relevant.

The art looks like the fire is spewing out where it wishes, which matches the original design. This redesign is a more streamlined and straightforward mechanic in that it just changes how it can assign combat damage.

It's powerful, to be sure, which I tried to balance by costing, except for the 1-drop. I left it at 1-cost because I didn't want it to be a 2-cost and be a 1/1 (I want to keep the stats square along with the others). I would make it a 1/2 normally.

So, is this a totally busted mechanic? Not sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment