Monday, July 1, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #180: Meddling Mage

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being scrapped late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color(s), is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.

ORIGINAL: 


REDESIGN:


Oh, gosh! It was my birthday over the weekend, June 30th, and one thing led to another, and, well, I need to catch up on missing a whole weekend's worth of blog posts! Here's "Saturday's" blog post!

So, this is a player invitational card, just like the situation I had for Kai Budde's Voidmage Prodigy! So, I thought it best to keep it a "Meddling Mage" name. I then thought about how else a mage can meddle? How about mess with what spell effects are actually supposed to do?! 

And what spell effects? A clue is that his hands are white and blue - meaning white and blue cards. And they look like they can be either twinning one spell into a different-color version of the other, or converting one thing into another. I went with the latter.

Blue is able to manipulate the nature of magic, so this was fine. I chose two spell effects that were basic but also could related with one another through the virtue of number.

I needed to have the creature be able to target any player so that it truly could still be "meddling," even though you'll probably be turning your life-gain spells into card-drawing spells.

This card might be "bah-roken" depending on whether there's some life-gain abuse to pair with this card.

No comments:

Post a Comment