Sunday, June 9, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #160: Shock

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being scrapped late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color(s), is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.

ORIGINAL:


REDESIGN:


This is as simplified of a burn spell you can get. And it's difficult to play this as anything other than a direct damage spell with that kind of art. So, we need to put yet another spin on a direct damage spell. I looked for what mechanics were in Stronghold. Buyback exists in this set.

Next, I searched all red buyback cards to see what direct damage cards have already been designed. There's been a fireball variant, and a burn spell that deals just one damage to either players or creatures. There doesn't exist yet one that only damages creatures. ...I got my card.

No comments:

Post a Comment