Thursday, June 13, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #163: Cyclopean Tomb

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being scrapped late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color(s), is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.

ORIGINAL:


REDESIGN:


Shuteye. Get it? Because it's an eye, and when it shuts, it encases the opponent for just a wink? And the planeswalker within this little bed/cradle/den looks like it's sleeping? As in, it's getting some shuteye? As in, it's getting forty winks - thus the wink counters?!

...Ah, satisfying.

I didn't feel like wording this card according to the olden ways of wording cards. Too much of a hassle!

Also, I feel like this may potentially be busted, and I'm just not seeing the loophole. Otherwise, hooray, it's safe and great. Keep in mind that this doesn't completely shut down a player - they can still activate abilities and attack with creatures.

I wanted to make the player skip their turn, but that was too weird to do for Alpha. I'll keep in mind some kind of sleeping spell for the player (like the spell Sleep for creatures) for a future card design.

No comments:

Post a Comment