Monday, June 17, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #167: Pyromancer's Swath

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being scrapped late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color(s), is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.

ORIGINAL:


REDESIGN:


Go, go Flame Javelin.

So, I needed to redesign this with an effect that feels like it's from the future. I consider this effect pretty radical enough that it does achieve this goal.

I also feel like the dedication toward burn matches the art well. The mage is engulfed in flames! ...It was important to me that this was a "Once you go burn, you don't go back." kind of thing, so an enchantment wasn't permanent enough (even though it does become harder to destroy it - you just play a creature or other permanent card that can rid of enchantments).

I feel like this "replace all text with this text" can be stretched out for a whole cycle. If we use the same names, then it'd be "Aeromastery," "Hydromastery," "Necromastery," and "Geomastery." ...Not that the names are super stellar, but it's more aid toward an illustration of my idea of this kind of effect existing on more than one card.

2 comments: