Saturday, June 22, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #172: Animate Artifact

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being scrapped late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color(s), is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.

ORIGINAL:


REDESIGN:



The art shows a focus on a metal sword - so I knew I had to keep this card's effect related to artifacts when I redesigned it. Next step was to take a look at what kind of effects already exist in Alpha. I didn't see any artifact tutors in it. Thus, I had my direction - do an artifact tutor variation.

Alpha is perfect for simplified variations of staple effects, whenever they haven't already been done. What's the most simple version of an artifact tutor? Fabricate. What's the second-most simplest version of an artifact tutor? An instant artifact tutor - which doesn't exist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment