Sunday, February 24, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #55: Power Surge

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development, and I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Redesign:


I wanted to name this "Shocking Revelations" or "Shocking Knowledge" for a more effective play on words, but it wouldn't fit alphabetically between "Orcish Oriflamme" and "Raging River." So, I settled for "Phrenic Shock." I didn't use "Psychic Shock" because it sounded too blue, even though dealing damage upon drawing cards feels blue (but it looks like this guy is thinking and lightning is happening from that). I went for the current effect instead of having it done every upkeep.

Only one other card in Magic: The Gathering deals damage upon you drawing cards: Niv-Mizzet! I was going to have the damage be upon each upkeep, but it felt more right to based upon drawing cards when I'm doing the play on words.

Also, there is no card in Magic: The Gathering with a name that contains the word "Shocking." Shocking, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment