Saturday, February 23, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #54: Misfortune's Gain

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development, and I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Redesign:


Apparently, white does a lot of destroying in Portal Three Kingdoms. Usually white has its Pacificism-like effect but that can't exist within this set. So, replacing this destroy effect, I did so happily with a tap effect. 

The art was meant to show that there was a death that occurred. From the art, I'm choosing to not focus on the fact that a death happened - I'm focusing on the grieving that occurs. I, at first, wanted to make sure that a creature died in the turn in order for you to be able to tap the creature. But, I decided I was making this too complex to go along with inability to untap. The grieving doesn't have to have a specified cause, but it makes sense that a creature would take a "time out" in order to properly grieve before returning back to do battle.

I originally wanted to do an Excommunicate effect, but blue already had that in Portal Three Kingdoms in the form of Forced Retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment