Thursday, March 21, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #79: Giant Warthog

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Redesign:

This giant warthog was to be redesigned without trample, despite being depicted as tearing it up. Look at that chunks of earth being ...well, unearthed! That was going to be a challenge.

Two things made the above problem work: 1) The glowing eye; and 2) The little people trying to fight it.


Trample is for attacking. But why can't warthogs be tearing it up while it's blocking? Aha. The little humans or elves or whatever aren't the ones trying to stop the boar - the boar is the one trying to stop little people! And that's what led to the glowing eye.

The glowing eye had no explanation with the original card. So, I decided to key off of that - which led to me realizing how the boar could be looking out for something - like little people. This is why the warthog is upset - there's some little humans and elves to smash!

I love that "Watchhog" sounds very similar to "Watchdog."

2 comments:

  1. Do you intend to give it a bonus for each attacker or +1/+1total? I like the simplicity of the bonus either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intended to give it +1/+1 for each attacker, but if that feels too uncommon-like then I would make it trigger just once with the condition "Whenever one or more creatures attack you, etc."

      I'm surprised that this ability doesn't yet exist in Magic! Coming to a Core Set near you!

      Delete