Monday, May 13, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #132: Anathemancer

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Redesign:


I thought it'd be fun to do another -mancer for its new name. It also had to come alphabetically before Bituminous Blast. Anthropomancy is divination using human entrails. Gruesome. Very black. Which is why it triggers off of creatures dying. The red part, for the divination, is the looting mechanic. You have to discard first then draw a card because that's the order in which red loots while blue would be to draw a card first then discard a card. Now it's a black-red card!

I discovered that this card was the only unearth card at uncommon. So, I made sure to give it unearth. But then I needed it to have a relevant effect for when you unearth it for a turn. That's why I had it trigger off of not just creatures dying but from creatures being unearthed (with the poetic wording of "graveyard" to "in play" or "in play" to "graveyard"). I figured that the dead creatures coming back for a single turn from unearth could still be quite "entrail-y."

Hopefully this guy isn't too broken by not requiring a mana cost or a tap symbol.

No comments:

Post a Comment