Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #43: Stormfront Riders

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development, and I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Redesign:


I saw that there were two guys inside this pod thing being pulled by some vicious-looking Birds. I wondered, "What if those guys just jumped out?" And, thus, the above design was born.

Not being able to return the creature tokens back to the pod racer for +1/+1 counters again reflects the fact that this thing is up in the air and Humans can't just fly back up into the sky. Once they jump out, they're out.

I was bothered by the fact that once both tokens are out onto the battlefield that the creature card itself, which would just be a bunch of flying Birds, would still be a Human type. So, I decided to go out of my way to fix that by adding lines of rules text for flavor reasons which has minimal impact in this environment. Sure, you can yell at me for this.

2 comments: