Saturday, February 16, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #46: Hindervines

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development, and I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Oh, snap! My first card from a current set!

Redesign:


I'll level with you - the name is silly. "Impede Stampede" plays into my love of naming things that either rhyme or are alliterations. But, at the same time, it does accurately portray what's going on with the card's effect.

I decided that the vegetation that's suddenly wrapping around these Soldiers are Saprolings. Yes, Gatecrash doesn't have a single Saproling token in it. You might say that they don't belong. But, wait. Return to Ravnica had a card that made Saproling tokens. But only one such card exists - Korozda Guildmage.

Because Saprolings were in this block at all, I thought it'd be fitting that there would be at least one Saproling card in Gatecrash. They were so prevalent last time that it seems strange for them to disappear almost completely this time (though, I do know that 1/1 flying Bird creature tokens kinda take up the 1/1 slot as far as Selesnyans are concerned followed by 2/2 vigilance Knights and 3/3 Centaurs).

I noticed the existence of the card Flash Foliage. I like to think that this card is an homage to that in a way. If I were to choose a different name for my card, I would make sure it did this homage - perhaps "Hindrance Foliage" would have done.


And, yes, I do know that there's the difference that Flash Foliage forces a block to occur while Impede Stampede allows you to not even block at all. I'm aware of this and wanted to allow the defending player to have more flexibility with its Saprolings.

No comments:

Post a Comment