Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #44: Stinkweed Imp

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development, and I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Redesign:


I didn't see a card in the Ravnica: City of Guilds set that interacted with other dredge cards, so I changed the original deathtouch-y ability to the one you see here.

I initially wanted to have the condition be "from anywhere," but that meant that, while this card is on the battlefield, the board complexity would be higher. And it would make for a too-complex common card.

I put "spite" in its name because it stings the opponent for making you either: A) discard cards; or B) mill (the Dimir do this). Of course, the Golgari mill themselves, but that's the neat dredge gameplay interaction, which is O.K. to be different from the narrative derived from the card's name.

I enjoy that it's in the character of an imp to be spiteful. And whenever possible, I like my names to have alliteration and rhymes.

No comments:

Post a Comment