Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #63: Silverglade Pathfinder

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development, and I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Redesign:


This spellshaper shapes spells into Reclaim! Luckily, there has been no other Spellshaper in all of Magic: The Gathering that has done the Reclaim effect.

There were slim pickings for this art with effects I can go with. I couldn't do artifact or enchantment destruction. No life gain. Because the original fetched lands, I couldn't do that. And so on. Additionally, I couldn't do effects that didn't make sense with the art - like granting trample and such.

Because Spellshapers might come back as a major thing in the future, I didn't want to have this card have a name that ties it down to the world it appeared in with the word "Silverglade." I settled for "Somber" since she looks like she could be it, and this sort of mood happens when you're remembering things that have come and gone.

EDIT: I slipped up and didn't realize that "Somber" came after "Snake Pit," the next card in collector number for the set. Therefore, "Silverglade Reclaimer" will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment