Sunday, March 3, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #62: Birds of Paradise

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development, and I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Redesign:


An island is prominent in the background, but so is the Bird. I didn't want to keep perpetuating the idea that it's O.K. for green to have flying creatures, so I didn't do a creature. Because, otherwise, I would be force to make it flying - because the bird is obviously flying.

Because the island is prominent in the background, I thought of green's ability to get mana of different colors. There weren't any land fetching cards in Alpha. So I went in that direction. And because the bird is a large part of the picture, I also went with having the trigger key off of creatures entering the battlefield.

Because this is a rare card, an enchantment was in order. Otherwise, a rare sorcery or instant land fetching lands would have to be pretty unique - and I didn't want to get too crazy for Alpha. So, repeatable land fetching it is.

1 comment:

  1. Edited: "Then shuffle your library."

    Also, there may be power level concerns with tokens. That's all right. This can be adjusted to restrict you to just one land per turn (by using an end of turn trigger that checks for at least one creature entering the battlefield under your control).

    ReplyDelete