Friday, April 12, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #102: Mask of Law and Grace

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Redesign:


I come up with yet another variant of Pacifism! That's two days in a row

From the art, it looked like the creature couldn't see where it was going! A blinding light! ...Which made me think of the phrase "blind justice." And that's what I based my top-down design from.

From there, I looked up cards that reference "Justice" and copied the effect of Swift Justice for the abilities this card would grant. The "swift" part is the fact that this is an instant. I also figured that being granted +1/+0 is part of the "surprise" of the swift justice, like how a surprise round in RPGs gives the surpriser a benefit.

But the blind part didn't make sense just like this. I thought of protection, but I didn't want to grant protection from black and from red again. And then that's when I thought of Bonds of Faith. I'm a fan of that design, so I decided to adopt it for this card.

If you're a righteous creature (it's on your side), it will benefit from the Blind Justice. Otherwise, it will be blinded and become incapacitated.

P.S. I'm aware that the card is a reference to both Voice of Law and Voice of Grace. While both of those Angels are a mjaor part of the Voice cycle that stretched multiple Magic: The Gathering sets), I believe this reference card is not also such a significant card.

No comments:

Post a Comment