Monday, April 15, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #105: Sorin's Vengeance

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Redesign:


I like how the first design interacted with Sorin's second ability. So, I decided for my redesign I would have it interact with Sorin's ultimate ability.

In order for this new spell to be able to interact with controlling a player's next turn, I needed to have an effect that repeated as long as the opponent decided to keep repeating it. Like Trade Secrets. Usually, it's against the opponent's wishes to do so, but you control them, so then you just bleed them out.

I also needed to have it be an instant, so that it could be played during the turn you're controlling.

I decided that Sorin's twisting that blade deeper and deeper into this guy until this guy cries mercy. This is why the effect does a repetition of the process that could be stopped by the opponent. Flavorful!

It's hard balancing this! But just the numbers would need tweaking. Five cards, ten cards, etc. And then 1 damage or 2 damage. Etc. So if you see that it's over or under-powered - pretend those two numbers were adjusted appropriately.

3 comments:

  1. I like how this says "I can get a new hand", but the actual 'ultimatum' doesn't feel very significant. 7 life all in one go, yeah, that's harsh - but they'll probably let you keep any lands you get, so it's more likely to be closer to them losing 4ish life, and you drawing 3ish lands. I'd bump up the price to 2 life, to make it feel more 'game-ending'.

    Also, this should not be an instant. I understand why you made it one - to interact with his ultimate - but such a process being cast at any time on your opponent's turn is pretty annoying. Most pick-and-deliberate effects are sorceries for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, you're the one that does the choosing if you're the one who cast this spell. They choose to lose a life, you then choose to lose a land. Another life? Sure, the next worst thing - another land. You'd always be keeping the best card you can possibly draw unless they choose to lose all of their life.

      Good point about this type of effect at instant.

      Delete
    2. Oh, my bad! I misinterpreted that wording quite badly.
      Yeah, this effect is definitely powerful, then! 1 life is the proper cost.

      Delete