Friday, February 1, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #32: Armageddon

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development, and I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


The famous Armageddon! Tall order. Here's my replacement card:


I looked at the art carefully and noticed that there's not just ruined lands, but there's dead creatures, too! And look at that barbed wire! I came up with the effect then looked through existing Magic: The Gathering cards to see if there was any such similar effect. Sure enough, I found Braids, Cabal Minion! There's no enchantment like the above, though. 

Since white does things that affects both players (and it plays into the Wrath of God or Day of Judgment type of flavor with white. "God makes destruction happen if He's angry!"), it's all good on a white enchantment.


Ah, notorious Braids. She does what she does with a drawback of being a creature. A Shock can destroy her, for example. An enchantment is harder to destroy. As such, I costed this higher. But how much higher is O.K.? I looked to Sunken Hope, which returns creatures to the hand every turn - not as bad as killing creatures. 

So, I costed it at one more than the five mana that Sunken Hope costs - six mana. Allowing lands and artifacts to also be able to be sacrificed is both a benefit and a drawback - in case the affected player wants to keep his or her creatures - so it doesn't affect the mana cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment