Monday, February 4, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #35: Goblin Tunneler

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development, and I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Yay! I like this guy.

Redesign:


Funny, I was debating between Pathrazer and Pathblazer. Pathrazer only appears on one card, Pathrazer of Ulamog, and it's in the same set as this Goblin Tunneler. But razing a path feels more permanent than blazing a path. In fact, blazing a path just means to go through it fast, which is what my design is doing.

The first thing I thought of, based on the art I have to work with, is mountainwalk. But Magic: The Gathering already got their bases covered in terms of French vanilla mountainwalkers. I can't say the same about temporary mountainwalk, though - so, we'll do that.

Since this guy has such a low cost, there is a highly likely possibility that it will not be able to grant any creature other than itself mountainwalk for a turn. But it can't use its own mountainwalking. Unless it had haste. So I gave it haste.

After the dust settles that is the turn this guy enters the battlefield, he'll be a vanilla creature! A "virtual vanilla" is what you call it. =)

2 comments:

  1. Another limited comment!

    This guy was fulfilling a very crucial role in Rise of the Eldrazi limited. He caused games to eventually end by sneaking a guy through every turn. I loved Rise limited to death, and this guy was one of the reasons why.

    Changing him to be only one pass semi-unblockable would make it kind of miserable for red decks in Rise, who would get stranded once everyone else gets to 8 mana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good, Robbit! No need to feel compelled to write something lengthy and in-depth (even if I do value it) for every time you want to comment. =)

      Yeah, I kinda blew it for this one. =) Outside of eliminating the usefulness of the old design, I kind blew it for my new design in terms of how useless hasting on turn 1 is as well as providing Eldrazi the ability to easily Mountainwalk.

      Delete