Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #37: False Defeat

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being killed late during its own set's development, and I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color, is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.


Huh, I didn't know Breath of Life was redone for the flavor of Portal Three Kingdoms as False Defeat. Neat.

Redesign:


A silly-sounding tactic, which I like. "Filly" being a young female horse while "folly" refers to the foolishness of the enemy. Sounds great together and fits within the alphabetical requirements for the replacement design.

There's a blue spell in Portal Three Kingdoms called Broken Dam which taps down up to two target creatures without horsemanship. Since there are up to two guys here sneaking up men on horses in the art, I decided this was a great counterpart to that spell. 

Except, there are fewer creatures with horsemanship than there are without. So I decided to give the flavor of these guys of temporarily using the horses. Of course, "horsemanship" is the equivalent to "flying" in Portal Three Kingdoms, so this should be within white's color pie to grant creatures flying.

Two different effects on a spell might be complex, but I'm hoping the flavor of taking the horses helps it become more easily understandable. And, yes, I intentionally made it so that this works even when there are no creatures to tap with horsemanship.

Note: I wanted to do Rain of Blades, but Rain of Blades already exists. The art looks like this is a sneak attack of minor damage upon an opponent's attacking creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment