Saturday, June 1, 2013

Daily Card Redesign #152: Cosi's Ravager

Daily Card Redesign is a daily Magic: The Gathering design exercise where I randomly choose a card for the scenario of it being scrapped late during its own set's development. I design a replacement card that uses the same art, is the same color(s), is the same rarity, and has a name that, alphabetically, keeps it within the same collector number for the set.

ORIGINAL:


REDESIGN:


Hehe. Hellemental. I want there to be a creature card printed one day called Hellemental.

The existing design was already pretty good. There's no other landfall permanent that deals damage. But there is a landfall burn spell. So, there IS some overlap in types of effects triggered by landfall, and that's where I saw opportunity to improve.

You know, I was dead-set on doing an intimidating landfall red creature because of the lack of red cards with intimidate in Zendikar block, despite its introduction in Zendikar (I just discovered that Bladetusk Boar is a reprint from Zendikar and not an original design for Magic 2013) - until I discovered that black already had a landfall card with intimidate in the set Zendikar.

So, I settled on a difference faucet of red scaring folks - making creatures not able to block. Good stuff! I mean, look at this guy. An elemental beast thing that has an animal skull for a head? Scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment